Sunglasses are some of the coolest fashion accessories worn by men worldwide; from the top fashion models to A-list celebrities, and elite athletes. Wearing one of the best sunglasses for me is like declaring “I’m cool and I know it.”
Dope eyewear not only elevates your look to new levels but also protects your eyes from harmful UV rays from the sun. These accessories are a necessity and every well-dressed man should own at least a few to complement their outfits.View in gallery
What To Consider When Buying Sunglasses for Men
When it comes to picking the best sunglasses, you want to invest not only in quality but appearance too. It’s crucial that you factor in your face shape, nose shape, and the different designs available. To help you make the best decision on buying a pair, here’s our top advice on what to look for.
Most modern sunglasses have UV protection embedded in the lens rather than coated over the lens. Look for sunglasses with the label “100 percent protection against both UVA and UVB.” Another option is the label “100% against UV 400.”
Very dark sunglasses may be misleading in terms of protection. Don’t automatically think that your dark shades offer protection from harmful rays. Sure, the dark lenses allow less light in so you squint less in bright light. However, your pupils open up more and expose you to UV rays.
Polarized sunglasses are a better option. They have a special chemical that filters light. The lenses block out horizontal light, only allowing vertical rays. So for instance, you will see people on the street but you won’t be affected by glares from light reflected off car windows. However, polarized doesn’t mean UV protection. Look for polarized sunglasses with UVA and UVB protection labels.
Shape of Sunglasses
Sunglasses come in many different lens-frame shapes. Some of the most popular include:
- Square frames: Square sunglasses are the classic and timeless designs for most eye-wear. While the frame isn’t a perfectly-shaped square, the edges are angular. Square frames add structure and definition to smooth-faced people with round jaws and indefinite cheekbones.
- D-frames: The frames are flat on top while more rounded on the sides and bottom. D-frame shades offer a fine balance between classic and urban, making them the perfect statement accessory for any age group.
- Round sunglasses: Round shades are often of a minimalist design and offer unique silhouettes. They are perfect for softening sharp jawlines and angular faces.
- Aviator Designs: Aviators are stylish and popular. Their long shapes offer more protection and add some symmetry to long or wide faces. Tom Cruise seems to be a big fan of aviators.
- Skinny Sunglasses: Slim, tiny, or ultra-slim frames are great for casual wear and adventure. Think of Dwayne Johnson in his early wrestling years, if you can smell what the rock is cookin’!
- Wrap-around sunglasses: A wrap-around that fits well offers protection against sun rays that come in from the sides. Besides looking ultra-cool, the snug fit makes them perfect for sporty activities such as biking, hiking, yachting, or kayaking.
The general idea is that the stronger your facial features, the bigger your sunglasses should be. Likewise, small and medium-size frames are more suitable for less defined faces. Keeping that in mind, here are the options for different face shapes.
- Square Face: Square faces have strong definitions, including broad foreheads and strong jawlines. Smaller, round frames are best as they soften your features.
- Round Face: Features include round cheekbones, wide faces, and softer jawlines. Angular frames such as square rims accentuate your features best.
- Triangle Face: Wide jawlines and small foreheads find better balance when paired with bigger sunglasses. Smaller frames can bring too much attention to an already large bottom.
- Diamond Face: Features include a long face with a pointed chin. Smaller D-frames help balance the overall shape of the top and bottom ends of your face.
18 Best Sunglasses For Men
Like all fashion essentials, picking the perfect pair of sunglasses can seem complicated but the result can elevate your looks and wardrobe. For that perfect look, here are our top picks for the best sunglasses for men.
1. Ray-Ban New Wayfarer Polarized SunglassesCheck Price
The Ray-Ban brand is the leader in sunglasses fashion; and they don’t disappoint with the new Wayfarer. The design is a clean cut without the Ray-Ban signature tilt. As usual with Ray-Ban, this pair has two metal accents at the corners of the frames. There’s also the signature logo at the top right corner of the right eye lens.
The new wayfarer is polarized, making for sharper views. The frames are made from rubberized material which feels super comfortable around your face and ears. They come in a 55mm lens size and an 18mm bridge. Authentic Ray-Bans are only made in Italy so watch out for fakes.
2. Deus Ex Machina Brockhouse SunglassesView in gallery
Deus Ex Machina’s Brockhouse sunglasses are functional and fashionable. With their ergonomic design, they are the perfect accessories for motorcycle riders. They are made of oversized frames that provide wider coverage for the eyes. The straight temples fit easier when worn with a bike helmet.
The CR-39 lenses are scratch-resistant while offering 100% protection against UVA and UVB rays. Deus Ex Machina’s sunglasses are all hand-made in Japan with frames made of high-grade cellulose-based acetate, making for high strength and durability.
3. Tom Ford Sven SunglassesCheck Price
The Tom Ford FT0711 Sven sunglasses are elegant eyewear made with artisanal craftsmanship. These are shield sunglasses with a wide and wrapping plastic mask. They are sleek, classy, and of high quality.
The pair comes inside a plush hard box, creating a potent vision of sophistication, modernity, and glamour.
4. Oliver Spencer Eyevan 772 Grey/BlackView in gallery
Eyevan is a top Japanese brand from Sabae City in Fukui. The city is known as the ‘City of Glasses’ due to its concentration of eyewear experts. Over one-sixth of Sabae’s employed population works in eyeglass manufacturing.
Eyevan’s sunglasses have metal parts hewn from titanium alloy, making them strong and lightweight. The curved mineral lenses offer 100% UVA and UVB protection and protection against glare.
5. American Optical Original PilotCheck Price
The AO Original Pilot is a timeless aviator made with military precision. They are a favorite of American military pilots and popular with red carpet trendsetters. The lenses are made out of SkyMaster™ Glass for ultimate view clarity and superior scratch resistance. The polarized lenses undergo chromatic tuning to reduce eye strain and enhance optical clarity.
6. Maui Jim Hikina Polarized Rimless SunglassesCheck Price
The Maui Jim brand from Hawaii brings you premium sunglasses with PolarizedPlus2 technology for optimal eye protection. Their proprietary technology ensures their lenses remain water-resistant, scratch-resistant, and grease resistant.
The Hikina sunglasses are polarized rimless sunglasses with a minimalist design. The lenses are made out of lightweight MauiPure® LT material which is super thin yet can withstand impact. The frame plus lens weigh a total of only 10g (1/3 of an ounce). It’s the ultimate fashion statement made with comfort and water-sport adventure in mind.
7. Mykita Polarized Pro BorgaCheck Price
Mykita is a cutting-edge brand from Berlin. All their frames are handmade in-house while their advanced lens technology offers unmatched optical clarity with reduced distortion.
The Borga’s nine-layer lens delivers supreme color contract and optimum eye protection. The acetate frames and stainless steel temples deliver elegance and comfort.
8. Randolph Concorde – Matte ChromeCheck Price
The Concorde is iconic, having been designed during WWII. It’s another favorite for US military and navy pilots.
The non-polarized lenses are made with Vector™ Anti-Reflective & Blue Wave™ lens technology for superb clarity and reduced glare. The Classic Skull temples provide daylong comfort while the teardrop shape brings style and a better shield for your eyes.
9. Prada Linea Rossa Men’s PS 53NSCheck Price
Prada’s Linea Rossa PS 53NS — made in aviator style — looks stylish and elegant. The temple’s sway in the middle and at the rim, making for compact storage. Each pair weighs 4oz (114g) and the bottom part of the lens is a light color, blending well with all skin colors.
The polycarbonate lenses offer 100% UVA and UVB protection though they’re not polarized. The frames are thick full rim and rectangular. Like all Prada sunglasses, the Linea Rossa line is made in Italy.
10. Giorgio Armani NEVE sunglassesView in gallery
The Neve line represents Armani’s ski wear. These sunglasses offer perfect protection in all seasons, and have removable blinkers for extra protection for skiing in winter. The high bridge offers comfort around the bridge of the nose. The round shape lenses are perfect for pairing with skiing helmets and can also be a flattering look with your summer outfits.
The Neve sunglasses have a classic feel with understated elegance. The round small frames add a vintage kick while the dark lenses add an alluring mystery.
11. Persol 714 – OriginalCheck Price
Persol is a premier designer of optical frames and sunglasses. The name Persol translates to “for the sun” in Italian. The 714 is the first-ever foldable sunglasses, launched in the 1960s. The frame features a unique keyhole bridge and an iconic pilot shape.
These sunglasses rose to global fame in 1968, thanks to Steve McQueen in the movie The Thomas Crown Affair. It remains popular with celebrities and fashion leaders due to its super clarity and impeccable fit.
12. Huckberry Weekenders SunglassesView in gallery
Huckberry sunglasses are stylish, durable, and highly affordable. They look like a sporty version of Wayfarers but are built for durability and an active lifestyle.
The special temple design makes for a snug and comfortable fit, so your sunglasses won’t be flying off and won’t wear you down when worn all day long. The polarized lenses block UV rays while preventing glare.
13. Gucci Aviator GG0500 SunglassesView in gallery
These Gucci Aviators, part of the Epilogue collection, have a minimalist design featuring thin gold wireframe and brown-green tint lenses. They offer a trendy summer look and come with a stylish case and cleaning cloth.
With the Gucci branding boldly embossed on the bridge, you enjoy a vintage style while the acetate tips add an extra level of comfort. The piece delivers 100% UVA and UVB protection.
14. H&M Polarized SunglassesView in gallery
These are cheap, minimalist, round frame sunglasses. They have UV-protective polarized lenses and are great for summer and spring.
At their price point, you don’t have to be paranoid or extremely worried about sitting on them or forgetting them at the pool.
15. Raen Sage 51Check Price
The Sage line of Raen sunglasses all spot a full-bodied Kola tortoise frame handcrafted from Zyl acetate. The lens sits deep within the frame, giving a feeling of sturdiness and making for a retro look.
The sage 51 is a unisex piece with five-barrel hinges for extra strength and optimal flexibility. The CR-39 lenses, made by Carl Zeiss Vision, feature a 6 base curve and offer 100% UVA and UVB protection.
16. Porsche Design P8478 D Aviator SunglassesCheck Price
The Porsche design P8478 sunglasses is the first-ever globally to have an interchangeable lens mechanism. You can easily exchange the teardrop-shaped lenses to match different lighting conditions.
The lenses UV400 protection absorbs ultraviolet radiation while the anti-glare reduces annoying reflections. The lens dual coating provides superior impact resistance as well as scratch protection.
17. Bonnie Clyde TetsuoView in gallery
This is a playful mix of straight edge contrasts and white-black colors. The music-inspired detailing speaks of the boundless energy of youth.
The Tetsuo is a unisex piece most suitable for the summer months. The lens has 100% UVA/UVB protection with an anti-glare and scratch-protective coating.
Just don’t go around screaming KANEDAAAAAAA while you’re wearing them. Or do.
18. Westward Leaning STUN 07View in gallery
What do you get when you cross an ultra-futuristic sunglasses design with classic retro? The result is the Stun 07 by Westward Leaning. The sunglasses are made with a one-piece shield lens in an aerodynamic shape. The rimless design makes this piece perfect for outdoor activities such as jogging, hiking, or biking.
The nylon lens features grease-proof, fingerprint-resistant, and anti-scratch coatings. The nose pads and temple tips have soft contacts for comfort and are adjustable to create the perfect fit no matter the size or shape of your face.
A good pair of sunglasses can be the icing on the cake to complete your outfit. The right pair of shades can protect your eyes from harmful rays while also enhancing your style and personality. Whatever the season or occasion, there’s always a suitable pair to fit your face shape, sense of style, and budget.