A certified Halloween classic, Hocus Pocus has delighted audiences for decades.
And though we may lack a virgin to light the Black Flame Candle, we want to try and re-summon Salem’s Sanderson sisters with these 58 Hocus Pocus quotes!
Just A Bunch of Hocus Pocus
Directed by Disney powerhouse Kenny Ortega, Hocus Pocus met a lukewarm reception during its original 1993 release. However, many moons later, it is now one of Disney’s longest-reigning Halloween films.
What makes Hocus Pocus so magical?
Well, for many long-time fans, nothing screams wholesome fun better than talking black cats and reanimated dead. For others, it’s the lingering impression of the Sanderson sisters.
This witch trio is played by Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy. These withces achieve what very few Halloween characters have: they’re lovable, fun, and utterly wicked. We cheer for their defeat while enjoying every second of their villainy.
And the best part? The Sandersons sisters are slated to return in the 2022 sequel!
However, until witching hour arrives, you’ll need something to dazzle thy senses. So, lucky for you, we’ve put together this list of Hocus Pocus quotes that are sure to enchant you!
10 Best Hocus Pocus Quotes
Hocus Pocus may be a 90s movie, but its script is far from corny. Between Bette Midler’s acting chops and Jason Marsden’s endearing voice role as Binx the cat, this film is full of great one-liners.
Let’s look back on its most famous lines with these 10 Hocus Pocus quotes:
1. “It’s all just a bunch of hocus pocus.” – Max
2. “I had to wait 300 years for a virgin to light a candle.” – Thackery Binx
Related Reading: Witchy DIY Candle Recipes
3. “It’s a full moon tonight. That’s why all the weirdos are out.” – Dani
4. “You lit the Black Flamed Candle?” – Cop
5. “I love you, jerkface.” – Dani
6. “Why was I cursed with such idiot sisters?” – Winifred Sanderson
7. “It doesn’t matter how young or old you are. You sold your soul! You’re the ugliest thing that ever lived, and you know it!” – Dani
8. “Goodbye cruel world.” – Winifred Sanderson
9. “Thackery Binx, thou mangy feline. Still alive?” – Winifred Sanderson
10. “Couldn’t you forget about being a cool teenager just for one night?” – Dani
13 Magical Hocus Pocus Quotes
Winifred, Mary, and Sarah Sanderson are some of Disney’s most beloved witches. They’re devious, scheming, and repugnant—and that’s only some of the compliments we can think of!
They’re also incredibly quotable. Without the sisters’ catchy incantations, Hocus Pocus wouldn’t be the hit that it is today.
Therefore, we must present 13 magical Hocus Pocus quotes from the Sanderson’s, plus a few other characters:
11. “We must find the book, brew the potion, and suck the lives out of the children of Salem before sunrise. Otherwise, it’s curtains. We evaporate! We cease to exist! Dost thou comprehend?” – Winifred Sanderson
12. “I put a spell on you, and now you’re mine.” – Winifred Sanderson
13. “You hags! There are not enough children in the world to make thee young and beautiful!” – Thackery Binx
14. “I suggest we form a calming circle.” – Mary Sanderson
15. “Come little children, I’ll take thee away into a land of enchantment. Come little children. The time has come to play here in my garden of magic.” – Sarah Sanderson
16. “Well, um, well, you see, I just moved here. Well, you see? It’s like this: I, I um broke into the old Sanderson house, and I brought the witches back from the dead. See, I even have the book.” – Max
17. “Well, it says to form a circle of salt to protect from zombies, witches, and old boyfriends.” – Allison
18. “You know, I’ve always wanted a child. Now I think I’ll have one … on toast!” – Winifred Sanderson
19. “Unfaithful lover long since dead. Deep asleep in thy wormy bed. Wiggle thy toes, open thine eyes, twist thy fingers toward the sky. Life is sweet, be not shy. On thy feet. So sayeth I!” – Winifred Sanderson
20. “Dead man’s toe, dead man’s toe! Dead, dead, dead!” – Sarah Sanderson
21. “Twist the bones and bend the back.” – Winifred Sanderson before turning Binx into a cat
22. “My ungodly book speaks to you. On All Hallow’s Eve, when the moon is round, a virgin will summon us from under the ground. Oh, oh! We shall be back, and the lives of all the children of Salem will be mine!” – Winifred Sanderson
23. “Wench! Trollop! You bucktoothed, mop-riding firefly from hell!” – Billy Butcherson
15 Funny Hocus Pocus Quotes
From the film’s most innocent to its more (ahem) questionable jokes, here are 15 funny Hocus Pocus quotes:
24. “Oh, look! Another glorious morning. Makes me sick!” – Winifred Sanderson
25. “Say what you want! Just don’t breathe on me.” – Max
26. “It’s the chocolate-covered finger of a man named Clark!” – Mary Sanderson
27. “I need one of those instant ice packs. You girls are giving me a fever!” – Bus Driver
28. “To convey gorgeous creatures such as yourselves to your most forbidden desires.” – Bus Driver
29. “Oh man, how come it’s always the ugly chicks that stay out late?” – Jay
30. “You’re going to turn me into one of those fat, useless, contented house cats.” – Thackery Binx
31. “Thank you! I really like yours too. Of course, I couldn’t wear anything like that because I don’t have any—what do you call them, Max? Yabbos? In fact, he loves them!” Dani
32. “Well, fancy! We desire children.”- Winifred Sanderson
33. “Hey, it may take me a couple of tries, but I don’t think there’s gonna be a problem.”- Bus Driver
34. “Maybe you could learn to breathe through your nose.”- Max
35. “Sisters, Satan has married Medusa. See the snakes in her hair.”- Mary Sanderson
36. “It reeks of children!”- Mary Sanderson
37. “It is a prison for children.”- Winifred Sanderson
38. “Damn, damn, damn! Double damn.”- Winifred Sanderson
8 Hocus Pocus Quotes For Halloween
It’snever too early to start planning for Halloween. Whether it’s prepping costumes or making a playlist of the best Halloween songs, a rewatch of Hocus Pocus should fit into your festivities somewhere.
Here are 8 Hocus Pocus that are perfect for celebrating the greatest season of them all!
39. “Sisters, All Hallow’s Eve has become a night of frolic, where children wear costumes and run amok!”- Winifred Sanderson
40. “Amok! Amok, amok, amok!” – Sarah Sanderson
41. “It’s not Dad. It’sDadcula. Oh, my goodness. Who must this charming young blood donor be?”- Dave
42. “Sisters, we’ve been gone 300 years.”- Winifred Sanderson
43. “Aren’t you broads a little old to be trick or treating?”- Master’sWife to the Sanderson Sisters
44. “I smell children.”- Mary Sanderson
45. “It just so happens that Halloween is based on the ancient feast called All Hallow’s Eve. It’s the one night a year where the spirits of the dead can return to Earth.”- Allison
46. “But everyone here knows that Halloween was invented by the candy companies. It’s a conspiracy.”- Max
12 Other Memorable Hocus Pocus Quotes
Even if you’re no longer a fan of Halloween, Hocus Pocus is a fantastic childhood movie you should consider checking out again.
Between Bette Midler’s rendition of I Put a Spell on You to Sarah’s enchantment of the town’s children and the cozy autumnal air of Salem, Hocus Pocus nails the nostalgia factor for many fans.
Thus, we’d be remiss to close out this list without including these 12 memorable Hocus Pocus quotes:
47. “Hello, I want my book. Bonjour, je veux mon livre.” – Winifred Sanderson
48. “Bubble, bubble. I’m in trouble!”- Bus Driver
49. “I am beautiful! Boys will love me!”- Sarah Sanderson
50. “Take good care of Dani, Max. You’ll never know how precious she is until you lose her”- Thackeray Binx
51. “Come, we fly!”- Winifred Sanderson
52. “Farewell, mortal bus boy!”- Sarah Sanderson
53. “Oh, cheese and crust! He’s lost his head. Damn that Thackery Binx!”- Winifred Sanderson
54. “A virgin lit the candle.”- Dani
55. “Don’t get your knickers in a twist! We’re just three kindly old spinster ladies.”- Winifred Sanderson
56. “My lucky rat tail!”- Sarah Sanderson
57. “I killed you once. I shall kill you again, you maggoty malfeasance! Hang onto your heads!”- Winifred Sanderson
58. “Welcome to High School Hell. I’m your host, Boris Karloff, Jr!”- Max
Conclusion: Hocus Pocus Quotes
Decades on, Hocus Pocus continues to draw in new and old fans—and it’s no wonder why.
Its fantastic characters, spellbinding plotline, and quotable one-liners haven’t lost an ounce of charm. Compared to other Disney TV movies from the same decade, Hocus Pocus is singular in its enduring legacy.
How about you? What are your favorite Hocus Pocus quotes? Feel free to let us know in the comments below!