Mom jokes are an unusual brand of humor that play on the stereotypical image of the hard-working and under-appreciated matriarchal figure. Mom jokes are consequently dissimilar to dad jokes, which are largely topicless and intentionally bad. Only other moms can truly appreciate the wit that comes from their roles and duties. Mom jokes further stand out from other forms of humor because they feature a more niche audience, lack a true punchline, and take a more satirical and sarcasm-laden approach to humor.
Telling mom jokes means having jokes for moms as much as you have jokes about moms. The difference between the two is the delivery method and how jokes for moms typically present a more grateful and appreciative edge than jokes about moms. Examples such as Mother’s Day jokes and birthday jokes for moms are good opportunities to give thanks to mothers everywhere—while also stretching your comedic muscles and building a more diverse comedy portfolio.
Some moms are more appreciative of certain jokes than others. For example, hitting your mom with a bad mom joke might be the key to turning her frown upside down if she is having a bad day. For others, dirty mom jokes could be what is needed to bring about a snigger. For younger children, a great way to build a solid sense of humor is through knock-knock jokes for mom or through mom jokes clean enough for all ages to hear, learn and repeat without causing any trouble. Mom roasts are also a great way to get a solid laugh for those brave few willing to try. However, roasts are a razor-sharp double-edged sword and should only be wielded by someone who reads a room well and is confident in their skills to pull off a good roast.
Mom jokes are a form of humorous catharsis that allows mothers with their friends and family to delight in the folly of parenting. Below, we have 84 of the best mom jokes that only a mother could love.
14 Funny mom jokes
Mom jokes offer a unique perspective on humor. Moms don’t have it easy so mom jokes aim to help lighten that load by overemphasizing just how tough moms have it. The jokes also have a more niche audience, as the story they tell can only truly be appreciated by other moms. Moms do everything for us; their powers and abilities know no bounds. As a result, mom jokes have an equally wide range, making them versatile and perfect for almost any occasion.
View in gallery
Below are 14 terrifically funny mom jokes that only a mother could love to hear.
1. Good moms let you lick the beaters after making brownies.
Great moms turn them off first.
2. “Look at me, Mommy!” is the toddler equivalent of “Hold my beer.”
3. Son: “Mom, can I have $20?”
Mom: “Does it look like I am made of money?
Son: “Well, isn’t that what M-O-M stands for?”
4. Motherhood is like a fairy tale but in reverse.
You start out in a beautiful ball gown and end up in stained rags cleaning up after little people.
5. Why do moms make terrible detectives?
Because they always find the evidence after the crime has been committed.
6. Being a mother of a teenager is finally understanding why some animals eat their young.
7. When I was a kid, I asked my mom if I was adopted. She said, “Not yet. We’re still waiting for someone to come and claim you.”
8. Mom’s recipe for iced coffee:
- Have kids.
- Make coffee.
- Forget you made coffee.
- Drink it cold.
9. “It’s spicy” is a universal mom code for “I don’t want to share.”
10. As a mom, I love my kids. Not enough to flip the chicken nuggets halfway through cooking, but I love them.
11. You know it’s time to clean out the diaper bag when you put it on the front seat, and your car assumes it’s a person not wearing a seatbelt.
12. During his police recruitment exam, a young man was asked, “What would you do if you had to arrest your own mother?”
He said, “Call for backup.”
13. You know when you’re a mom when you understand on a deep level why Mama Bear’s porridge was too cold.
14. First child eats dirt, and mom calls the doctor.
Second child eats dirt, and mom cleans out their mouth.
Third child eats dirt, mom wonders if she still needs to make lunch.
9 Mom jokes for kids
Mom jokes for kids are simple jokes that moms can break out to use against their kids at any age. One great thing about mom jokes for kids is that while they are often more juvenile, the immaturity only serves to make the quips funnier for use against older kids. Furthermore, mom jokes for kids are as close to Dad jokes as mom humor gets. The humor has an undeniable dad-like quality even though the jokes tend to work off the classic maternal stereotypes.
Below are 9 hilarious but true mom jokes for kids.
15. You kids can never make fun of me for teaching me how to use my phone.
I taught you how to use a spoon.
16. Why is a computer so smart?
Because it listens to its motherboard.
17. What’s the fastest land mammal?
A toddler who’s been asked what’s in their mouth.
18. What did the panda give his mommy?
A bear hug.
19. Why do mother kangaroos hate rainy days?
Their kids have to play inside!
20. I know you tell us to call you mom, but I’ve always known that your real name is Moooooooooooom!
21. Momster: What appears after mom actually counts to three!
22. What did the digital clock say to its analog mother?
Look, Mom! No hands!
23. Why was it so hard for the pirate to call his mom?
Because she left the phone off the hook!
7 Great jokes for moms
Jokes for moms are a comforting and lighthearted form of humor. Great jokes for moms consequently act as the kind of quips you can easily share with your mom. There’s no end to the depth of mom humor—whether it ranges from cheeky jokes that warrant a clip around the ears to cute jokes for mom that remind her how loved she is. Furthermore, having a few jokes for moms in your back pocket is never a bad idea. Break any of one the jokes we have listed below whenever you see your mom having a bad day or looking a bit glum, and watch her frown turn upside down.
Below are the 7 greatest jokes for moms that are a perfect way to fix a bad day.
24. The fastest way to spread news isn’t on the internet. It’s by telling your mom.
25. Science teacher: “When is the boiling point reached?”
Student: “When my mother sees my report card!”
26. Why do moms switch to drinks that are bitter and sweet once they have kids?
They’ve been served a cold glass of reali-tea.
27. Isn’t it ironic that we celebrate the kid on the anniversary of the day their mom did all the work?
28. First baby: You start wearing maternity clothes as soon as the test is positive. Second baby: You wear your regular clothes for as long as possible. Third baby: Your maternity clothes are your regular clothes.
29. There were never any rules in our house … except for one. Never interrupt mom before she’s finished her coffee.
30. Moms don’t want to sleep like a baby; they want to sleep like a dad!
8 Mother’s Day jokes
Mother’s Day jokes are a time-sensitive style of humor that affords a wonderful opportunity to tell your joke-loving mom how much she means to you. Mother’s Day jokes are flexible quips that offer something for everybody. Many Mother’s Day jokes are perfectly suited for the task—regardless of whether you’re looking for a satirical joke, a cute joke for your mom, or a pun for the special occasion.
Below are 8 laugh out loud Mother’s Day jokes perfect for such a special day.
31. Why was the house so neat on Mother’s Day?
Because Mom spent all day Saturday cleaning it.
32. I smile because you’re my mother, but I laugh because there’s nothing you can do about it!
33. What did the lazy boy say to his mom on Mother’s Day when she was about to do the dishes?
“Relax mom… you can just do them in the morning.”
34. Mom, thanks for all the womb and board. Happy Mother’s Day!
35. Why did the mommy cat want to go bowling on Mother’s Day?
She was an alley cat.
36. Why should you never buy flowers from a monk on Mother’s Day?
Because it’s important to try and prevent florist friars.
37. Two children ordered their mother to stay in bed one Mother’s Day morning. As she lay there looking forward to breakfast in bed, the smell of bacon floated up from the kitchen. But after a good long wait, she finally went downstairs to investigate. She found them both sitting at the table eating bacon and eggs. “As a surprise for Mother’s Day,” one explained, “We decided to cook our own breakfast.”
38. A family was having dinner on Mother’s Day, but the mother was unusually quiet. Finally, her husband asked what was wrong.
“Nothing,” said the woman.
Not believing her, he asked again. “No, seriously, what’s wrong?”
Finally, she said, “Do you really want to know? Well, I’ll tell you. I have cooked and cleaned and fed the kids for 15 years, and on Mother’s Day, you don’t even tell me so much as ‘Thank you.’”
“Why should I?” he said. “Not once in 15 years have I had a Father’s Day gift.”
“Yes,” she said, “but I’m their real mother.”
5 Birthday jokes for mom
Birthday jokes for mom is a special kind of humor. Mom’s birthday is undoubtedly one of the most important days of the year. Being a parent, especially a mother, is a largely thankless task and is often overlooked by all those around them. Cracking special birthday jokes for mom is therefore a great way to make her special day even more memorable.
Below are 5 amazing birthday jokes for mom to celebrate her special day.
39. Why are birthdays good for your health?
Studies have shown that people who have more birthdays actually live longer.
40. You might be another year older, mom, but at least you don’t have any ugly kids.
41. Why did the mother cat love her birthday?
Because she had an excuse to purrr-ty.
42. Dad, why did mom get heartburn after eating her cake?
She forgot to blow the candles out first.
43. What did the mother crab do on her birthday?
She shell-ebrated it!
5 Knock-knock jokes to tell your mom
There is no shortage of knock-knock jokes to tell your mom. Knock-knock jokes in general are a classic part of childhood humor and an essential step in any comedian’s journey. There is also a special sub-variant of great knock-knock jokes to tell your mom that revolve directly around mothers. Consider employing knock-knock jokes on Mother’s Day or special birthdays as they’re fantastic jokes to crack out during such occasions.
View in gallery
Below are 5 tremendous knock-knock jokes to tell your mom that will put a smile on her face.
44. Knock, knock.
Abby Mother’s Day!
45. Knock, knock.
Omelet Mommy sleep in today.
46. Knock, knock.
Bacon you a cake for Mother’s Day.
47. Knock, knock.
Howard you like breakfast in bed, Mommy?
48. Knock, knock.
Annie thing you can do, Mum can do better.
11 Truly bad mom jokes
Bad mom jokes are not a homage to horrendous parents but rather an ode to the unfunniest of jokes you can’t help but find amusing. Bad mom jokes have a dad-like quality to them and an underlying truth that remains undeniable. The point of bad jokes is that they are just that—bad! Keep in mind that telling bad jokes well is an art form, regardless of the topic, so make sure you are confident in your abilities before you start.
View in gallery
Below are 11 terribly bad mom jokes guaranteed to get a few groans and more than a few giggles.
49. Moms started saying, “Because I said so?” because “because science” wasn’t ever a good enough explanation.
50. What’s a mom joke?
Look in the mirror, kiddo.
51. A friend asked me if she should have a baby after 40.
I said no, 40 babies are enough.
52. If I ever go missing, just follow my kids.
They can find me wherever I try to hide!
53. Why do parents go to the gym together?
Because they want their relationship to work out
54. Daughter: “Mom, what’s it like to have the greatest daughter in the world?”
Mother: “I don’t know dear; ask your grandmother.”
55. Parenting is buying a bounce house and swing set just so you can sit on the patio and drink wine in peace.
56. Why don’t mothers wear watches?
There’s a clock on the stove.
57. One day, a little girl is sitting and watching her mother do the dishes at the kitchen sink. She suddenly notices that her mother has several strands of white hair sticking out in contrast to her brunette hair.
She looks at her mother and inquisitively asks: “Why are some of your hairs white, Mum?”
Her mother replied: “Well, every time that you do something wrong and make me cry or unhappy, one of my hairs turns white.”
The little girl thought about this revelation for a while and then asked: “Mumma, how come all of grandma’s hairs are white?”
58. Why did the mother cross the road?
To get some peace and quiet!
59. Why do Mothers have to have two visits to the optometrist?
Because they also have eyes in the back of their head.
6 Dirty mom jokes
Dirty mom jokes act as the perfect reminder that parenthood involves sacrifices; moms are not just mothers but adults with needs and desires. Dirty mom jokes capture the essence of parenting and the impact it has on your body and life as a woman. Dirty mom jokes also add a funny spin to a potentially serious conversation (as is the goal of many forms of humor).
Below are 6 great dirty mom jokes that remind us all that moms have needs too.
60. As a mom, I’m no longer a snack. I’m a Happy Meal.
I come with toys and kids.
61. Never tell a mom you need some personal space. You came out of her personal space!
62. Important truth no one tells you:
Both of you come home from the hospital in diapers.
63. You know you are a good mom when you sacrifice your vibrator batteries for your kid’s toy.
64. Only a mom has to check a brown smear to see if it’s chocolate or shit.
65. A kid walks up to his mom and asks, “Mom, can I go bungee jumping?”
The mom says, “No, you were born from broken rubber, and I don’t want you to go out the same way!”
11 Clean mom jokes
Mom jokes that are clean enough for all ears are not hard to find. Most mom jokes are good-natured and clean enough to eat dinner off. Clean mom jokes are further proof that humor is about more than just shock and vulgarity. A comedian that relies on mom jokes that are clean enough for grandma to hear must be attentive to what they say. That said, it’s not hard to come up with a good, clean act for mons due to the amount of material available.
Below are 11 awesome mom jokes clean enough to say at the Sunday dinner table.
66. Ever heard of a job that requires no experience, gives no training, pays nothing, and you can’t quit?
… Oh, and people’s lives are on the line.
67. I hate when I’m waiting for Mom to cook dinner—and then I remember I am Mom.
68. My mom superpower is being the only person in the house who can see an empty toilet paper roll.
69. What did the drummer call her twin girls?
Anna one, Anna two!
70. What is a mom’s favorite flower?
71. How many moms does it take to get a kid to clean their room?
One, but it takes 18 years!
72. Cleaning a house when you have children is like brushing your teeth while eating Oreos.
73. Behind every picture taken at home there’s a mom who’s shoving random crap out of the frame so it can look like the house is clean.
74. My housekeeping style as a mom can best be described as ‘there appears to have been a struggle.’
75. What do you call a mom who can’t draw?
76. Why don’t mothers write books on parenting?
Because it would just be filled with rants about doing everything themselves, and cocktail recipes.
8 Savage mom roasts
Mom roasts are a good-natured yet brutally honest look at parenting through the eyes of a mother. Meanwhile, a good mom roast is harsh and strong enough to crush what little soul you have left. Roasts should be scathing but a truly successful mom roast should still leave you with tears of laughter rolling down your cheeks. Mom roasts should also not be confused with yo mama jokes as the latter is designed to insult someone’s mother, while the former is typically told by mothers and directed at their children or loved ones.
View in gallery
Below are 8 truly fabulous mom roasts that run a little too close to home.
77. As a parent, I know you did the best you could while still setting aside enough money for therapy.
78. I love it when the kids tell me they’re bored. As if the lady standing in front of a sink full of dirty dishes is where you go to get ideas about how to have a good time.
79. She believed she could, and she almost did…but then someone asked her repeatedly for a snack, and she lost track of what she was doing.
80. You know you’re a mom when being alone in your car is the most exciting part of your day.
81. If you’ve never said, ‘You need to back up a little so I can wipe myself,’ do you even have kids?
82. Parenting: It all starts with a late period, and then you aren’t on time for anything ever again.
83. Before having kids, every mom thinks she’ll be a super-chill mom. That’s because, at that point, we had no idea they’d break all our stuff, make ridiculous demands, and take roughly 10 years to get out of the car.
84. Motherhood is a constant battle between going to bed to catch up on some sleep or staying awake to get some alone time finally.
What is mom humor?
Mom humor is a style of joke-telling that relies on the stereotypical image of motherhood. Mom humor and mom jokes take many forms and often diverge from the traditional setup and punchline combination. Many of the best mom jokes are statements and situation-based jokes. Mom humor plays on the established truth that mothers work hard in a role that is often thankless and in the direct firing line for bad dads, hormone-driven mood swings, and the general stresses of strains of family life. Mom humor is also somewhat unique in that most mom jokes are only really appreciated by other moms.
An analysis of mom jokes vs. dad jokes
An analysis of mom jokes vs. dad jokes presents one core and vital difference. Traditional dad jokes are simple and corny because they’re the kind of jokes you groan at. Mom jokes, however, are far more realistic jokes. Mom jokes are more a statement of the underappreciated life of a mother whereas dad jokes could be seen as a further extension of a dad’s laid-back and hands-off approach to parenting. As a result, the mom jokes vs. dad jokes debate is a non-starter due to the different styles. Both are over-exaggerations of a long-running social stereotype, but their construction and delivery methods are so varied that they cannot be compared.
How to make your mom laugh
The best way to make your mom laugh is to tell her a joke. As a mother, it’s her duty to laugh no matter how bad it is. Mom jokes are not for everybody’s taste, and given their unique view on life, they can only truly be appreciated when told by mothers to other moms. Humor takes many forms, and there is no one size fits all option or solution. There will be jokes that one mom finds funny, while the other mom will find the jokes boring. A comedian’s true skill exists in being able to read a room, understand their audience and pull the right jokes out of their set to fit the situation.