From catchy pop songs to corny slogans, self-love often feels like nothing more than a marketing ploy. Well, we believe otherwise—and our list of 115 powerful self-love quotes is proof.View in gallery
The Importance of Self Love
In a world of humble bragging and social media flexing, many of us try and fail to measure up to an impossible standard.
Whether it’s our job, appearance, or achievements, something about who we are or what we do is never “good enough”. As a result, genuine self-love and self-confidence feel unattainable. In their place, we get accustomed to perfectionism, clouding how we perceive ourselves.
But perfectionist thinking isn’t just unrealistic; it’s also deeply unhealthy.
If you struggle with self-love, try to think of it as a skill or habit. You have to practice it before you can believe in it. By practicing self-love, you learn how to appreciate your experiences, flaws, and features, as something unique and worthy of praise.
To help you out on your self-love journey, we’ve collected a whopping 115 quotes to inspire confidence and self-respect. For more positive messages and affirmations, check out our favorite family quotes and life quotes.
13 Best Self Love QuotesView in gallery
Life may be greener on the other side for some people, but it’s important to remember that we all share experiences. Personal challenges, like low self-esteem or poor self-image, are very common. Whether it’s an unhappy home life, relationship woes, or lack of friends, no one’s life is truly perfect. And that’s okay.
If you’re struggling with your self-esteem, check out this list of amazing self-love quotes. From major confidence boosters to gentle affirmations, any one of these quotes can be a great pick-me-up for bad days:
1. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
2. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” – Lucille Ball
3. “You are free, you are powerful, you are good, you are love, you have value, you have a purpose. All is well.” – Abraham Hicks
4. “Our self-respect tracks our choices. Every time we act in harmony with our authentic self and our heart, we earn our respect. It is that simple. Every choice matters.” – Dan Coppersmith
5. “You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop.” – Rumi
6. “Fall in love with taking care of yourself. Fall in love with the path of deep healing. Fall in love with becoming the best version of yourself but with patience, with compassion, and respect to your own journey.” – S. McNutt
More Self-Love Quotes to Make Your DayView in gallery
8. “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” – Buddha
7. “Never bend your head. Hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye.” – Helen Keller
9. “As I began to love myself I found that anguish and emotional suffering are only warning signs that I was living against my own truth. Today, I know this is ‘authenticity.’” – Charlie Chaplin
10. “When I loved myself enough, I began leaving whatever wasn’t healthy. This meant people, jobs, my own beliefs, and habits—anything that kept me small. My judgment called it disloyal. Now I see it as self-loving.” – Kim McMillen
11. “Your sense of self-worth comes from you alone—never the opinion of others.” – Robert Greene
12. “We do not have the right to feel helpless. We must help ourselves. After destiny has delivered what it delivers, we are responsible for our lives.” – Cheryl Strayed
13. “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
14 Self Love Quotes From the Greats
[Source]View in gallery
Poets and authors have been writing about love since the creation of the written language. No other topic has received as much literary attention as love in all its forms — romantic love, familial love, platonic love, and, of course, self-love.
Many have done it well, but few have explored self-love with the same majesty as the creative geniuses we’ve unearthed for this list.
Take a page out of the greats and nurture self-confidence with these 14 self-love quotes:
14.“To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.” – Oscar Wilde
15. “I must undertake to love myself and to respect myself as though my very life depends upon self-love and self-respect.” – Maya Angelou
16. “The hardest challenge is to be yourself in a world where everyone is trying to make you be somebody else.” – E.E. Cummings
17. “And I said to my body, ‘I want to be your friend.’ It took a long breath. And replied, ‘I have been waiting my whole life for this.” – Nayyirah Waheed
18. “Document the moments you feel most in love with yourself—what you’re wearing, who you’re around, what you’re doing. Recreate and repeat.” – Warsan Shire
19. “The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself.” – Mark Twain
20. “Freeing yourself was one thing, claiming ownership of that freed self was another.” – Toni Morrison
More Self-Love Quotes From Great Writers and PoetsView in gallery
21. “This life is mine alone. So I have stopped asking people for directions to places they’ve never been.” – Glennon Doyle
22. “You have to choose yourself, even when others refuse to.” – R. H. Sin
23. “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” – C.S. Lewis
24. “You must want to spend the rest of your life with yourself first.” – Rupi Kaur
25. “You have to be odd to be number one.” – Dr. Seuss
26. “I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself.” – Charlotte Brontë
27. “Let it go, let it leave, let it happen. Nothing in this world was promised or belonged to you anyway.” – Rupi Kaur
17 Self Love Quotes From Our IdolsView in gallery
People in the limelight live their lives under a microscope. Therefore, it’s no wonder that many of the celebrities we idolize struggle with their self-image.
Some have spoken about their experiences while others have shared their wisdom through art or movies.
From childhood heroes to the biggest names in Hollywood, here are 17 self-love quotes from our favorite celebrities:
28. “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.” – Fred Rogers
29. “If there’s one thing I’m willing to bet on, it’s myself.” – Beyoncé
30. “I am my own experiment. I am my own work of art.” – Madonna
31. “I think no matter what you look like, the key first of all is to be happy with yourself. And then you know if you want to improve things you don’t like about yourself, then do it after you appreciate yourself.” – Adele
32. “It’s you versus you.” – Dwayne Johnson
33. “Everyone of us needs to show how much we care for each other and, in the process, care for ourselves.” – Princess Diana
34. “I think in life you should work on yourself until the day you die.” – Serena Williams
More Self-Love Quotes From Celebrities to Lift Your SpiritsView in gallery
35. “Nobody is perfect. I just don’t believe in perfection. But I do believe in saying, ‘This is who I am and look at me not being perfect!’ I’m proud of that.” – Kate Winslet
36. “You change the world by being yourself.” – Yoko Ono
37. “One’s dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered.” – Michael J. Fox
38. “Self-love has very little to do with how you feel about your outer self. It’s about accepting all of yourself.” – Tyra Banks
39. “I try to keep it real. I don’t have time to worry about what I’m projecting to the world. I’m just busy being myself.” – Demi Lovato
40. “When life puts you in touchy situations, don’t say, ‘Why me?’ Just say, ‘Try me.’” – Dwayne Johnson
41. “I’m not going to apologize for who I am and I’m going to actually love the skin that I’m in. I’m not gonna be striving for some other version of myself.” – Amy Schumer
42. “Find out who you are and do it on purpose.” – Dolly Parton
43. “You ain’t gotta like me. I like me.” – Kanye West
44. “I remind myself to be kind to myself, and as slightly ridiculous as it may sound, to treat myself in the same gentle way I’d want to treat a daughter of mine. It really helps.” – Emma Stone
12 Self Love Quotes for WomenView in gallery
Self-love has been a major theme in women’s media for decades.
Sometimes it’s little more than a marketing tactic (we shan’t name any brands here), while at other times, the message is genuine and heartfelt.
Either way, self-appreciation has inspired many anthems, songs, books, and quotes for women. From beloved heroines, such as the late RBG, to trailblazing poets like Maya Angelou, these 12 self-love quotes are truly empowering:
45. “My mother told me to be a lady. And for her, that meant be your own person, be independent.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
46. “I was once afraid of people saying ‘Who does she think she is?’ Now I have the courage to stand and say, ‘This is who I am.” – Oprah Winfrey
47. “Self-worth sets the standard that life meets.” – Jewel
48. “When a woman becomes her own best friend, life is easier.” – Diane Von Furstenberg
49. “In stressful times, it’s okay to not be perfect. Cut yourself some slack. Because right now, you might not be your best self, but you are growing and you are trying your best. And that is good enough.” – Ashley Hetherington
50. “Your crown has been bought and paid for. Put it on your head and wear it.” – Maya Angelou
Other Self-Love Quotes for WomenView in gallery
51. “I had to grow to love my body. I did not have a good self-image at first. Finally, it occurred to me, I’m either going to love me or hate me. And I chose to love myself.” – Queen Latifah
52. “She remembered who she was and the game changed.” – Lalah Delia
53. “If we treated ourselves as well as we treated our best friend, can you imagine?” – Meghan Markle
54. “Being comfortable in your own skin is one of the most important things to achieve. I’m still working on it!” – Kate Mara
55. “You have to believe in yourself when no one else does—that makes you a winner right here.” – Venus Williams
56. “It’s really about changing the conversation. It’s not about perfection. It’s about purpose. We have to care about our bodies and what we put in them. Women have to take the time to focus on our mental health—take time for self, for the spiritual, without feeling guilty or selfish. The world will see you the way you see you, and treat you the way you treat yourself.” – Beyoncé
11 Self Love Quotes for MenView in gallery
It’s important for men to feel loved and valued, too. This means learning how to appreciate yourself and healthily working through insecurities.
We know that this might be a long and difficult journey for some gents—so we’ve gathered 11 self-love quotes from legendary men to inspire our male readers:
57. “I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence.” – Frederick Douglass
58. “The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely.” – Carl Gustav Jung
59. “In your own life, it’s important to know how spectacular you are.” – Steve Maraboli
60. “Find the love you seek, by first finding the love within yourself. Learn to rest in that place within you that is your true home.” – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
61. “So then, the relationship of self to others is the complete realization that loving yourself is impossible without loving everything defined as other than yourself.” – Alan Watts
More Self-Love Quotes for MenView in gallery
62. “A person learns how to love himself through the simple acts of loving and being loved by someone else.” – Haruki Murakami
63. “When you are content to be simply yourself and don’t compare or compete, everyone will respect you.” – Lao Tzu
64. “If you have the ability to love, love yourself first.” – Charles Bukowski
65. “Be gentle with yourself, learn to love yourself, to forgive yourself, for only as we have the right attitude toward ourselves can we have the right attitude toward others.” – Wilfred Peterson
66. “It isn’t what they call you, it’s what you answer to.”- W.C. Fields
67. “They cannot take away our self-respect if we do not give it to them.” – Mahatma Gandhi
16 Self Love Quotes For People in RelationshipsView in gallery
While it’s possible (and normal!) to love others more than you might love yourself, people in relationships should never undervalue their own self-worth.
In fact, by nurturing self-love, you can become a more nurturing and affectionate partner.
As you begin to practice self-love, you or your significant other can learn from these 16 self-love quotes:
68. “You deserve someone who makes you feel like the otherworldly creature you are. Yourself.” – Amanda Lovelace
69. “It’s all about falling in love with yourself and sharing that love with someone who appreciates you, rather than looking for love to compensate for a self-love deficit.” – Eartha Kitt
70. “All relationships are a reflection of your relationship with yourself.” – Deepak Chopra
71. “How you love yourself is how you teach others to love you.” – Rupi Kaur
72. “Be single and save yourself for a relationship that motivates you to become the best version of yourself. Be single until you find a love that resembles the type of love you’ve been fighting for.” – R.H. Sin
73. “Your self-worth is determined by you. You don’t have to depend on someone telling you who you are.” – Beyoncé
74. “Love yourself enough to set boundaries. Your time and energy are precious. You get to choose how you use it. You teach people how to treat you by deciding what you will and won’t accept.” – Anna Taylor
75. “Self-love is an ocean and your heart is a vessel. Make it full, and any excess will spill over into the lives of the people you hold dear. But you must come first.” – Beau Taplin
More Self-Love Quotes For CouplesView in gallery
76. “Love is the great miracle cure. Loving ourselves works miracles in our lives.” – Louise Hay
77. “No other love, no matter how genuine it is, can fulfill one’s heart better than unconditional self-love.” – Edmond Mbiaka
78. “Nothing else falls into line when you’re cold to your own person. Everything else falls into line when you open your heart to yourself and stay true to your own person.” – Unknown
79. “Respect is one of the greatest expressions of love.” – Miguel Angel Ruiz
80. “A self-love deficit isn’t what will bring you joy. The wrong mental attitude can be devastating in the world. If you have true self-esteem and high self-love you can share that love with the world around you. To love oneself is to love the world and a person learns that only when they show themselves the kindness they deserve.” – Unknown
81. “Scarcity of self-value cannot be remedied by money, recognition, affection, attention or influence.” – Gary Zukav
82. “Don’t fall into the trap of sacrificing your self-esteem for affection and acceptance.” – Ashley Graham
83. “Love is about becoming the right person. Don’t look for the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, become the person you want to spend the rest of your life with.” – Neil Strauss
17 Short Self Love QuotesView in gallery
Sometimes, less is more. Below, we’ve collected 17 short quotes for those times you when you could use a gentle reminder to love yourself:
84. “Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.” – Coco Chanel
85. “Love is the absence of judgment.” – Dalai Lama
86. “The only person I need to compare myself to is my yesterday self.” – Allison Sue
87. “Feel the fact that you are enough.” – Mark Nepo
88. “Loneliness is a sign you are in desperate need of yourself.” – Rupi Kaur
89. “Loving yourself isn’t vanity; it’s sanity.” – Katrina Mayer
90. “Respect yourself and others will respect you.” – Confucius
91. “You are what you believe yourself to be.” – Paulo Coelho
92. “Self-love is the greatest middle finger of all time.” – Unknown
Other Short Quotes on Self-LoveView in gallery
93. “It took me a long time not to judge myself through someone else’s eyes.” – Sally Field
94. “We accept the love we think we deserve.” – Stephen Chbosky
95. “Until I’m ready, let me be. I have to heal myself.” – Samantha King
96. “Self-care is giving the world the best you instead of what’s left of you.” – Katie Reed
97. “Doubt kills more dreams than failure.” – Suzy Kassem
98. “Keep watering yourself. You’re growing.” – E.Russell
99. “I am more than my scars.” – Andrew Davidson
100. “When things change inside you, things change around you.” – Unknown
15 More Motivational Self Love QuotesView in gallery
Before we conclude this article, let’s take a moment to share a few more of our favorite self-love quotes.
Although you may not recognize some of these passages, they’re nevertheless powerful quotes to keep in mind as you embark on your journey of self-love.
101. “Self-care is never a selfish act; it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer to others.” – Parker Palmer
102. “Self-pity gets you nowhere. One must have the adventurous daring to accept oneself as a bundle of possibilities and undertake the most interesting game in the world making the most of one’s best.” – Harry Emerson Fosdick
103. “Be so completely yourself that everyone else feels safe to be themselves, too.” – Unknown
104. “Inner beauty should be the most important part of improving one’s self.” – Priscilla Presley
105. “Self-love—it doesn’t mean that everyone will treat you the way you deserve to be treated. It means that you won’t let them change the way you see yourself; nor will you stick around for them to destroy you.” – Tony A. Gaskins Jr.
106. “The only person who can pull me down is myself, and I’m not going to let myself pull me down anymore.” – C. Joybell C.
107. “The real difficulty in self-love is combating the inner critic who goes against our own wishes by challenging our own beliefs. You know you’re worthy of love, but the critic keeps reminding you of the past pain that you can’t let go of.” – Unknown
Other Motivational Self-Love QuotesView in gallery
108. “Low self-esteem is like driving through life with your hand-break on.” – Maxwell Maltz
109. “The right mental attitude will guide you towards feeling a sense of love that you deserve to experience.” – Unknown
110. “Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we’ll ever do.” – Brené Brown
111. “Strong people have a strong sense of self-worth and self-awareness; they don’t need the approval of others.” – Roy T. Bennett
112. “When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” – Jean Shinoda Bolen
113. “When you stop living your life based on what others think of you, real life begins. At that moment, you will finally see the door of self-acceptance opened.” – Shannon L. Alder
114. “All the filth in your mind that tells you that you aren’t worthy or good enough is the reason why you’re not experiencing self-love in a healthy sense.” – Unknown
115. “In order to love who you are, you cannot hate the experiences that shaped you.” – Andrea Dykstra
Final Thoughts on Self Love Quotes
Developing self-love is easier said than done. It takes time and patience to realize your self-worth, and even longer to build up the confidence to live an authentic, fulfilling lifestyle.
As you go on your self-love journey, remember to look back on our list of self-love quotes. Although they may be simple words on a page, they offer profound wisdom and a much-needed confidence boost for those struggling with low self-esteem.
Which was your favorite quote? What have you learned from self-love? Feel free to share in the comments below!