Whether you’re in a new relationship or a long-time relationship, or still reeling from a past one, this collection of the best relationship quotes will give you all the feels.
View in gallery
From the bliss of meeting the right person and falling in love to embracing both the challenges and fruits of being in a relationship and everything in between – we’ve all been there. And if there’s one thing about relationships is that it’s not at all a fairytale.
That person who said that loving is easy, but relationships are complicated knows precisely what they are talking about.
And here are some of the greatest relationship advice and sayings from wise people who have walked this earth.
Unshakable Quotes About Relationships
Relationships – sometimes a fairytale, sometimes a tragedy.
View in gallery
Whether you’re ready today, yesterday, or not yet, one day, you will be ready to accept love once again. Souls blossom, hope is present, and soon, a new love will also bloom.
Related Reading: 25 Fun Date Ideas with Your Girlfriend
The following relationship quotes perfectly capture the complexity of a relationship and the joy of knowing you found ‘The One.’
1. “I no longer believed in the idea of soul mates or love at first sight. But I was beginning to believe that a very few times in your life, if you were lucky, you might meet someone who was exactly right for you. Not because he was perfect, or because you were, but because your combined flaws were arranged in a way that allowed two separate beings to hinge together.” – Lisa Kleypas
2. “The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.” – Carl Gustav Jun
3. “When you stop expecting people to be perfect, you can like them for who they are.” – Donald Miller
4. “Sometimes, I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then.”– Katharine Hepburn
5. “A woman knows the face of the man she loves as a sailor knows the open sea.” – Honore de Balzac
6. “Nothing is perfect. Life is messy. Relationships are complex. Outcomes are uncertain. People are irrational.” – Hugh Mackay
The Best Quotes About Relationships Speak to the Soul
View in gallery
7. To be fully seen by someone, then, and be loved anyhow – this is a human offering that can border on miraculous.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
8. “What we wait around a lifetime for with one person, we can find in a moment with someone else.” – Stephanie Klein in ‘Straight Up and Dirty.’
9. “Relationships don’t always make sense. Especially from the outside.” – Sarah Dessen in ‘Along for the Ride’
10. “When someone loves you, the way they talk to you is different. You feel safe and comfortable.” – Jess C. Scott
11. “You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly.” – Sam Keen
12. “A guy and a girl can be just friends, but at one point or another, they will fall for each other… Maybe temporarily, maybe at the wrong time, maybe too late, or maybe forever.” – Dave Matthews Band
Related Reading: Up! Quotes that Strike at the Heart
Thought-Provoking Relationship Quotes About Trust
Whatever kind of relationships you have – friendship, relationships with family, personal partnerships, romantic relations – without trust, any relationship is nothing. Trust is the foundation where relationships can grow and prosper. It’s also the glue that binds the relationship together.
View in gallery
Without trust, it would be impossible for any relationship to stay healthy and even more impossible for it to last. And trust is not a matter of technique or trick or saying the right words at the right time. Trust is about the character, built but more importantly, maintained through small but consistent actions over time.
Here are some quotes about trust that will expertly make you think and consider your relationships.
13. “Trust but verify.” – Ronald Reagan
14. “Trust is like blood pressure. It’s silent, vital to good health, and if abused, it can be deadly.” – Frank Sonnenberg.
15. “When mistrust comes in, love goes out.” – Irish Proverb
16. “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it.” – Warren Buffet
17. “Consistency is the true foundation of trust. Either keep your promises or do not make them.” – Roy T. Bennett
18. “Seldon, very seldom, does complete truth belong to any human disclosure; seldom can it happen that something is not a little disguised or a little mistaken.” – Jane Austen in ‘Emma.’
19. “The easiest way to gain someone’s trust is to deserve it. This should be pretty easy, assuming you’re just being you and being real. Minimal effort too.” – Ashley Lorenzana
20. “Trust is built when someone is vulnerable and not taken advantage of.” – Bob Vanourek
21. “Trust is like placing a blade in someone’s hand and setting the very point to your heart.” – Cassandra Clare
22. “Trust is hard. Knowing who to trust, even harder.” – Maria V. Snyder
Sweet Relationship Quotes to Get You Thinking
View in gallery
23. “Trust takes years to build, seconds to break, and forever to repair.” – Dhar Mann
24. “‘ It was a mistake,’ you said. But the cruel thing was, it felt like the mistake was mine for trusting you.” – David Levithan
25. “Trust is like a mirror. You can fix it if it’s broken, but you can still see the crack in that reflection.” – Lady Gaga
26. “Trust has to be earned and should come only after the passage of time.” – Arthur Ashe
27. “It’s okay to be a fool once or twice but never let it be a third time. Be smart and pretend to be a fool, and at the end of the hunt, make sure you’re the one that has the gun.” – Surgeo Bell
28. “It’s good to trust others but, not to do so is much better.” – Benito Mussolini
29. “Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.” – Albert Einstein
30. “In the end, you have to choose whether or not to trust someone.” – Sophie Kinsella
31. “Only those you trust can betray you.” – Terry Goodkind
32. “Loving someone is giving them the power to break your heart but trusting them not to.” – Julianne Moore
Time-Tested Sayings on Long Distance Relationships
Out of all the kinds of relationships, long-distance relationships tend to have an incredibly high degree of difficulty. It’s easy on the surface – texts, calls, video chats. But anyone who can relate to an LDR relationship will agree that there’s always a painful reminder of what you’re missing.
View in gallery
But these LDR relationship quotes will inspire and reassure you and your special one when either is feeling lonesome.
33. “Distance means so little when someone means so much.” – Tom McNeal
34. “Love knows not distance; it hath no continent; its eyes are for the stars.” – Gilbert Parker
35. “I may not always be with you. But when we’re far apart, remember you will be with me right inside my heart.” – Marc Wambolt in ‘Poems from the Heart.’
36. “Friendships – and indeed most relationships – are measured in the closeness of hearts, minds and soul ties… not in the distance of physical miles or even the passing of time.” – Rasheed Ogunlaru
37. “In true love, the smallest distance is too great, and the greatest distance can be bridged.” – Hans Nouwens
38. “Distance between two people is inconsequential when their souls are united.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
39. “I exist in two places – here and where you are.” – Margaret Atwood
Cute Quotes That Prove Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
View in gallery
40. “If you listen to the wind very carefully, you’ll be able to hear me whisper my love for you.” – Andrew Davidson
41. “We were together even when we were apart.” – Shannon A. Thompson
42. “Distance unites missing beats of two hearts in love.” – Munia Khan
43. “Love reckons hours for months, and days for years; and every little absence is an age.” – John Dryden
44. “The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.” – Charles Dickens
45. “Distance is not for the fearful; it’s for the bold. It’s for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love. For those who know a good thing when they see it, even if they don’t see it nearly enough.” – Meghan Daum
Relationship Quotes on Finding Long-Lasting Love
While some of us still enjoy the cutesy quotes and levels of relationships, there are those people and couples who have stood the test of time. They who, by miracle, have found the secret ingredient to a strong, lasting relationship.
View in gallery
Because let’s face it – being in a relationship is a very old human need but is never easy all the time. It’s a two-way street. Constantly working on relationships every day takes effort. But if you care for the person enough and are willing to do the work, it could last as it has for some! Because, ultimately, the bond will grow, and so will love.
They are the relationship goals that push us to be better and do better in our own relationships. Here are some fully inspirational relationship quotes to grow and love harder and be the best version of yourself in this relationship.
46. “The art of love is largely the art of persistence.” – Albert Ellis
47. “Love is not really a mystery. It is a process like anything else. A process that requires trust, effort, focus, and commitment by two willing partners.” – Elizabeth Bourgeret
48. “I’m not telling you it is going to be easy – I am telling you it is going to be worth it.” – Art Williams
49. “A great marriage is not when the ‘perfect couple’ comes together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.” – Dave Meurer
50. “There is no challenge strong enough to destroy your marriage as long as you are both willing to stop fighting against each other and start fighting for each other.” – Dave Willis
51. “Every couple should argue now and then. Just to prove that the relationship is strong enough to survive. Long-term relationships, the ones that matter, are all about weathering the peaks and the valleys.” – Nicholas Sparks
52. “Love never dies; if we keep it alive.” – Wrushank Sorte
More Quotes That Prove True Love is Forever
View in gallery
53. “Shared joy is a double joy; shared sorrow is half a sorrow” – Swedish Proverb
54. “Because when you finally find the one against all odds, you give him your best and let the magic of the world carry the rest.” – E. Mellyberry
55. “Never above you. Never below you. Always beside you.” – Walter Winchell
56. “When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” – from ‘When Harry Met Sally’
57. “You meet thousands of people, and none of them really touch you. And then you meet one person, and your life is changed. Forever.” – from ‘Love & Other Drugs’
58. “A successful relationship requires falling in love multiple times, but always with the same person.” – Robert Brault
59. “The secret to a happy marriage is if you can be at peace with someone within four walls, if you are content because the one you love is near to you, either upstairs or downstairs, or in the same room, and you feel that warmth that you don’t find very often, then that is what love is all about.” – Bruce Forsyth
60. “For the two of us, home isn’t a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.” – Stephanie Perkins, Anna, and the French Kiss
61. “Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction.” –
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
62. “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.” – Aristotle
63. “Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” — Marcel Proust
Heart-Wrenching Toxic Relationship Quotes
Relationships don’t always have a happy ending. Sometimes, they just end.
Looking for really sad quotes about your relationship that has just ended? Perhaps it has been over a bit, but you still haven’t moved on past that relationship. Completely understandable!
View in gallery
We go through endings a little differently, but we can all agree to this – the end of a relationship is always sad. And looking at the ending, whether it’s because of a toxic relationship, betrayal, cheating, or fading of love, makes you sad and heartbroken or even empty at times. We can all relate to that!
These relationship quotes about toxicity and endings will capture all the pain – hopefully enough to help you heal and move on.
64. “We ended the way all good things in my life had a way of being put to rest – abrupt and without my permission.” – Nessie Q.
65. “Cheating and lying aren’t struggles. They are reasons to break up.” – Patti Callahan Henry in ‘Between the Tides’
66. “But nothing makes a room feel emptier than wanting someone in it.” – Calla Quinn
67. “How do you love someone and just … walk away? Just like that. You just go on as normal… You get up, get dressed, go to work. How can you do that? How can you be okay with that?” – Ranata Suzuki
68. “Love is unconditional; relationships are not.” – Grant Gudmundson
69. “It’s an erase all your playlists kind day.” – Ryan Charles Griffin
Quotes That Remind You That Failed Love Is Not the End
View in gallery
70. “Then you said, “nothing has changed.” You lied.” – Musa M.
71. “Assumptions are the termites of relationships” – Henry Winkler
72. “Pleasure of love lasts but a moment. The pain of love lasts a lifetime.” – Bette Davis
73. “The end of things, the real end, is never a neat turn of the screw, never a door that is suddenly shut, but more like an atmospheric change, clouds that slowly gather – more a whimper than a bang.” – Valeria Luiselli
74. “I’m not upset that you lied to me, I’m upset that from now on I can’t believe you.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
75. “Every poem that I’ve created was yours. I thought they were mine, but they were yours. And I wish that I could’ve kept them. And I wish I could’ve kept you.” – Juansen Dizon in ‘Confessions of a Wallflower.’
76. “If you spend your time hoping someone will suffer the consequences for what they did to your heart, then you’re allowing them to hurt you a second time in your mind.” – Shannon L. Alder
77. “The end of a melody is not its goal: but nonetheless, had the melody not reached its end, it would not have reached its goal either. A parable.” – Nietzsche
78. “Some people don’t realize what they have until it’s gone, but that does not always mean they are supposed to get it back.” – Stephan Labpssiere
79. “There is chaos in everyone’s heart. Some just grow flowers on it while others tear it apart.” – Fiphie in ‘The Dust Has Grown Flowers’
More Quotes that Show Heartbreak Makes Love Better
80. “There comes the time in your life when you have to choose to turn the page, write another book or simply close it.” – Shannon L. Alder
81. “If you didn’t love him, this never would have happened. But you did. And accepting that love and everything that followed it is part of letting it go.” – Sarah Dessen in ‘Dreamland.’
82. “There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.” – Frank Herbert
83. “It is always important to know when something has reached its end. Closing circles, shutting doors, finishing a chapter, it doesn’t matter what we call it; what matters is to leave in the past those moments in life that are over.” – Paulo Coelho in ‘The Zahir’
84. “Of course, it hurt that we could never love each other in a physical way. We would have been far happier if we had. But that was like the tides, the change of seasons – something immutable, an immovable destiny we could never alter. No matter how cleverly we might shelter it, our delicate friendship wasn’t going to last forever. We were bound to reach a dead end. That was painfully clear.” – Haruki Murakami in ‘Sputnik Sweetheart’
85. “It’s better to have love and lost than never to have loved at all.” – Alfred Lord Tennyson
86. “You’re just another story I can’t tell anymore.” – Iain S. Thomas in ‘I Wrote This for You’ Project
Relationship Quotes About Second Chances at Love
I mean, who would want to be let down again? Trust and get betrayed again? Be cheated on again? Right?
But we just can’t end this list with the gut-wrenching tragedy of relationships ending. Like Maya Angelou said: “Have enough courage to trust love one more time and always one more time.”
Why? Because second chances exist and it’s not only a dream. And because we all deserve it. Your perfect match could be just around the corner or the next!
View in gallery
These relationship quotes about second chances and not exactly talking about your ex will inspire you to hold on to love. Because while the last person wasn’t worth holding on to, love is. Love is always worth it.
Let these famous relationship quotes inspire you when you’re ready to love again.
87. “Everyone suffers at least one bad betrayal in their lifetime. It’s what unites us. The trick is not to let it destroy your trust in others when that happens. Don’t let them take that from you.” – Sherrilyn Kenyon
88. “If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.” – Paulo Coelho
89. “Love is a gamble; heartbreak is the cost. But never lose hope, for love is never truly lost.” – Divya Singh
90. “All discarded lovers should be given a second chance, but with somebody else.” – Mae West
91. “Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
92. “It’s never too late for a new beginning in your life.” – Joyce Myers
93. “Love is something eternal; the aspect may change, but not the essence.” – Vincent Van Gogh
94. “Keep walking through the storm. Your Rainbow is waiting on the other side.” – Heather Stillufsen
95. “Flowers grow back. Even after the harshest winters, you will too.” – Jennae Cecelia
Quotes on Finding Love After Heartbreak
View in gallery
96. “It will be foolish not to get your heart broken, even once. For having a broken heart makes you realize the immense capability it possesses to mend and heal itself and to love far more intensely, with every affixed piece of it that was once broken and torn apart.” – Sanhita Baruah
97. “Maybe sometimes love needs a second chance because it wasn’t ready the first time around.” – Unknown
98. “Sometimes, we have to stop being scared and just go for it. Either it’ll work, or it won’t. That is life.” – Alex Elle
99. “The greatest act of courage is not falling in love. But, despite everything, falling in love again.” – Robin Wayne Bailey
100. “A second chance doesn’t always mean a happy ending, it’s a chance to end things right.” – Unknown
101. “Maybe it won’t work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.” – Unknown
102. “Forget all the reasons why it won’t work and believe the one reason why it will.” – Unknown
103. “Stop rejecting new relationships just because old ones didn’t work. Next thing you know, you rejected the one that God made for you by mistake. Yes, never give up on finding your soul mate. Searching for true love and finding it? Is priceless!” – Glen Rambharack
104. “A broken heart is just the growing pains necessary so that you can love more completely when the real thing comes along.” – J.S.B. Morse
Final Thoughts on Relationship Quotes
Keeping a romantic relationship, or any kind of relationship, flourishing is hard enough. Both the ones in it should do the hard work. But finding the right words to express and communicate how you feel is even harder. But these quotes on relationships should help you take the right step.
And don’t forget to share these relationship quotes with your friends, family, girlfriend, boyfriend, wife, husband, or any special person in your life.