Are you trying to find the right family quote to sum up how you feel about your family? Look no further! We have 200 of the best family quotes from short and sweet, to hilariously funny.View in gallery
For some people, family is their entire life. However, others grow older and make their own family. Or they choose friends that feel more like family. While others consider their furry friends their family.
But whatever your family looks like, it can be hard to find the right words to describe how you feel about them.
Because with all the love they give you, just any old Hallmark card won’t do the trick.
So, if you have a case of writer’s block when trying to caption a family picture on social media. Or if you want to add a more personal touch to a gift. Then check out the 200 family quotes below!
Jump to the best family quotes to fit your mood:
- 14 Family Love Quotes
- 18 Short Family Quotes
- 15 Toxic Family Quotes
- 17 Funny Family Quotes
- 15 Family Christmas Quotes
- 10 Inspirational Family Quotes
- 15 Fake Family Quotes
- 15 Thankful Family Quotes
- 20 Friends Are Family Quotes
- 16 Blended Family Quotes
- 15 Disney Family Quotes
- 10 Happy Family Quotes
- 20 Addams Family Quotes
14 Family Love QuotesView in gallery
One of the strongest bonds is family love. There’s an understanding between family members that they will support and care for one another.
But if you struggle to come up with the right words to express that love, we’re here to help.
We have 16 family love quotes that beautifully describe the love between families.
- I sustain myself with the love of family. – Maya Angelou
- The most important thing in the world is family and love. – John Wooden
- The love of family and the admiration of friends is much more important than wealth and privilege. – Charles Kuralt
- A family is a risky venture, because the greater the love, the greater the loss. That’s the trade-off. But I’ll take it all. – Brad Pitt
- A true family’s love nourishes, it’s the rock that is meant to support and strengthen you after being weakened by adversities of life. – Wayne Chirisa
- Love is the glue that holds a family together and without which all things fall apart. – Bangambiki Habyarimana
7. Family accents are to be accepted as the ideal language of life and love. – J. Ruby
- If you have friends and family who love you unconditionally – you truly have everything! – Lindsey Rietzsch
- If one is desperate for love, I suggest looking at one’s friends and family and see if love is all around. If not, get a new set of friends, a new family. – Jasmine Guy
- So much of what is best in us is bound up in our love of family, that it remains the measure of our stability because it measures our sense of loyalty. All other pacts of love or fear derive from it and are modeled upon it. – Haniel Long
- I feel like I finally understand how family love is. Tangled, wounded, and wonderful. Imperfect. A forever love. – Hannah Tunnicliffe
- You know, true love really matters, friends really matter, family really matters. – Courtney Thorne-Smith
- No matter what you’ve done for yourself or for humanity, if you can’t look back on having given love and attention to your own family, what have you really accomplished? – Lee Iacocca
- Love is the driver for all great stories: not just romantic love, but the love of parent for child, for family, for country. – Jojo Moyes
18 Short Family QuotesView in gallery
Sometimes keeping things short and sweet says all you need to say. Especially if your family is full of introverts.
So, if you want to express love for your family without going overboard, these 18 short family quotes are just right for you.
- One day you will do things for me that you hate. That is what it mens to be family. – Jonathan Safran Foer
- Family is not an important thing. It’s everything. – Michael J. Fo
- When trouble comes, it’s your family that supports you. – Guy Laleur
- Family is the most important thing in the world. – Princess Dina
- In every conceivable manner, the family is the link to our past, brdge to our future. – Alex Haley
- I’ve always put my family first and that’s just the way it is. – Jaie Lee Curtis
- Family, nature and health all go together. – Olivia Neton-John
- I don’t think anyone has a normal family. – Edward Furlong
9. In a lot of my films, the biggest theme is family, making families out of those around you. – Taika Waititi
- My first priority is time with my family. – Tom Selleck
- Home isn’t where you’re from, it’s where you find light when all grows dark. – Pierce Brown
- Siblings: children of the same parents, each of whom is perfectly normal until they get together. – Sam Levenson
- We must take care of our families wherever we find them. – Elizabeth Gilbert
- The way you help heal the world is you start with your own family. – Mother Teresa
- Writers will happen in the best of families. – Rita Mae Brown
- He’d learned long ago: perfection isn’t what families are all about. – Jamie Ford
- We are a noisy and blessed little family. – Nancy E. Turner
- The family exists for many reasons, but its most basic function may be to draw together after a member dies. – Stephen King
Related Reading: Best Relationship Quotes
15 Toxic Family QuotesView in gallery
Unfortunately, not all families are loving and supportive. And even worse, they have no issue showing their true colors.
Oftentimes they manipulate, lie, and gaslight you into oblivion.
If you can relate, then we have 15 toxic family quotes to help you burn those bridges. And move on in life, without your toxic family.
- Blood doesn’t make you family. Some of the most demonic and demeaning people in your life share your DNA. – Temi Ade
- If the family you chose before your birth no longer supports your path towards fulfilling your true destiny, it is never too late to find a new tribe. – Anthon St. Maarten
- Letting go of toxic people in your life is a big step in loving yourself. – Hussein Nishah
- A child should never feel as if they need to earn a mother’s love. – Sherrie Campbell
- You can miss a person every day and still be glad that they are no longer in your life. – Tara Westover
- Love them from a distance. Pray for them, wish them well, but don’t allow them to abuse you. – Kimber Waul
7. It’s okay to cut ties with toxic friends and family you’ve got to prioritize your own well-being. – Brenden Dilley
- It’s perplexing how family members claim their undying love for us. They can say whatever they choose, but their actions and behaviors don’t match their words. – Dana Arcuri
- In the process of letting go, you will lose many things from the past but you will find yourself. – Deepak Chopra
- A toxic family is even worse than a toxic relationship. – Rohan Chouhan
- Just because they are your family doesn’t mean that they are your friends. – Beverly Miller
- The longer we ignore red flags, pretend they don’t exist, the more we disconnect from ourselves. – Sherrie Campbell
- You can love them, forgive them, want good things for them – but still move on without them. – Mandy Hale
- Toxic people attach themselves like cinder blocks tied to your ankles, and then invite you for a swim in their poisoned waters. – John Mark Green
- The only relationships that exist are based on truth. Everything else is just a mutual and isolating delusion. – Stefan Molyneux
17 Funny Family QuotesView in gallery
Is your family full of comedians? Does your dad have an endless repertoire of dad jokes?
If so, you might be in luck. Because our families help us develop our sense of humor.
And these 17 funny family quotes are a testament to familial comic stylings.
- Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream. – George W. Bush
- Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city. – George Burns
- There is no such thing as fun for the whole family. – Jerry Seinfeld
- Some family trees bear an enormous crop of nuts. – Wayne Huizenga
- I want my children to have all the things I couldn’t afford. Then I want to move in with them. – Phyllis Diller
- Obviously, if I was serious about having a relationship with someone long-term, the last people I would introduce him to would be my family. – Chelsea Handler
- I grew up with six brothers. That’s how I learned to dance—waiting for the bathroom. – Bob Hope
- Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops. – Cary Grant
- For the first time ever I was taking the family on the road. We stayed with my in-laws, which on life’s list of experiences ranks right below sitting in a tub full of scissors. – Jeff Foxworthy
10. Family love is messy, clinging, and of an annoying and repetitive pattern, like bad wallpaper. – Friedrich Nietzsche
- Important families are like potatoes. The best parts are underground. – Francis Bacon
- That’s what family is. People who hate you, but can’t kill you. Because they’re the first ones questioned. – 2 Broke Girls
- One of the things that binds us as a family is a shared sense of humor. – Ralph Fiennes
- Stay away from family when you are working on a startup. – Ritesh Agarwal
- Children really can brighten up a house, because they never turn the lights off. – Ralph Bus
- Having a child makes you a parent; having two, you are a referee. – David Frost
- From the ages of 8-18, me and my family moved around a lot. Mostly we would just stretch, but occasionally one of us would actually get up to go to the fridge. – Jarod Kintz
15 Family Christmas QuotesView in gallery
Even if you don’t celebrate Christmas, the holiday season is a fantastic time to get together with friends and family.
And for those that do celebrate, you’re likely stressing about saying, or buying, the right thing to let your family know you care.
Now, go ahead and spread some joy throughout the holiday season with 20 family Christmas quotes.
- My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others. Come to think of it, why do we have to wait for Christmas to do that? – Bob Hope
- A lovely thing about Christmas is that it’s compulsory, like a thunderstorm, and we all go through it together. – Garrison Keillor
- Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas. – Peg Bracken
- Christmas is a time for families. – Dorothy Koomson
- I am sorry. I can not invite you home for Christmas because I am Irish and my family is mad. – Anne Enright
- Christmas: the one time of year when you can’t avoid the nuts in your family muesli. – Charles Stross
- Home isn’t a place. It’s not having a bed to come home to, or a yard, or a Christmas tree at the holidays. Home is the people who love you. – Jennifer Lynn Barnes
- It’s true, Christmas can feel like a lot of work, particularly for mothers. But when you look back on all the Christmases in your life, you’ll find you’ve created family traditions and lasting memories. – Caroline Kennedy
9. Christmas is the season of joy, of holiday greetings exchanged, of gift-giving, and of families united. – Norman Vincent Peale
- The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other. – Burton Hillis
- I’m releasing a holiday song called, ‘All I Want for Christmas is my Parents’ Freaking WIFI Password. – Damien Fahey
- From home to home, and heart to heart, from one place to another. The warmth and joy of Christmas brings us closer to each other. – Emily Matthews
- Mankind is a great, an immense family. This is proved by what we feel in our hearts at Christmas. – Pope John XXIII
- Christmas is all about family, eating, drinking, and making merry. – Malaika Arora Khan
- Christmas can’t be bought from a store. Maybe Christmas means a little bit more. – Dr. Seuss
10 Inspirational Family QuotesView in gallery
For many people, their family members are their heroes. And oftentimes, they inspire us to be better versions of ourselves.
Do you get inspiration from your family? Then you’ll appreciate these 10 inspirational family quotes.
- Ninety percent of those who are successful today were the people who had little or nothing, but were pushed and encouraged by their family. – Michael Bassey Johnson
- If you believe you can make a difference, then you will make a difference. Believe in yourself, your family and your community and you will win. – Lindsay Fox
- In family relationships, ‘love’ is really spelled ‘t-i-m-e,’ time. Taking time for each other is the key for harmony at home. – Dieter F. Uchtdorf
- The family is the test of freedom; because the family is the only thing that the free man makes for himself and by himself. – Gilbert K. Chesterton
5. Families are the compass that guide us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter. – Brad Henry
- Everyone needs a house to live in, but a supportive family is what builds a home. – Anthony Liccione
- The informality of family life is a blessed condition that allows us all to become our best while looking our worst. – Marge Kennedy
- My friends and family are my support system. They tell me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear, and they are there for me in the good times and bad times. – Kelly Clarkson
- Families are the tie that reminds us of yesterday, provide strength and support today, and give us hope for tomorrow. – Bill Owens
- Govern a family as you would cook a small fish – very gently. – Lao Tzu
15 Fake Family QuotesView in gallery
Occasionally, the people that swear they love us actually don’t have our backs. Instead, they fake their love and respect for us.
So, here are 15 fake family quotes for those of us that have to deal with fake family love.
- The saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from your enemies. – Unknown
- Stand by those who stand by you. – Mac Miller
- Make sure everybody in your boat is rowing. And not drilling holes when you’re not looking. Know your circle. – Unknown
- Blood makes you related, loyalty makes you family. – Unknown
- Don’t worry about the family that ignores and acts like you don’t matter. Love the ones who are always there for you no matter what. – Unknown
6. The black sheep blazes the trail for other family members to follow when they finally see the wolf. – Iyanla Vanzant
- Some of the most poisonous people come disguised as friends and family. – Unknown
- Be strong. Say ‘no.’ And cut out those toxic fake family members. – Unknown
- You may feel guilty for leaving your family behind. But you’ll never regret moving yourself forward. – Unknown
- When you see the genuine, you don’t deal with the fake anymore. – Nima Davani
- Everything is fake nowadays – fake relationships, fake feelings, fake friends, even fake relatives. – Unknown
- Fake families are like shadows. They follow you in the sun but leave you in the dark. – Unknown
- A fake family is worse than a regular fake relationship where blood relations aren’t involved. – Samuel Zulu
- Controllers, abusers, and manipulative people don’t question themselves. They don’t ask themselves if the problem is them. They always say the problem is someone else. – Darlene Ouimet
- The only thing more frustrating than slanderers is those foolish enough to listen to them. – Chris Jammi
15 Thankful Family QuotesView in gallery
When you have a supportive family, there’s a lot to be thankful for. From having a roof over your head, to having a close confidant you can call on at any time.
Related Reading: Love Quotes for Him
Which is why we have 15 thankful family quotes to remind ourselves just how special families are.
- I am thankful for my family. My friends, I feel the same. – Julie Huebert
- I have a wonderful shelter, which is my family. I have a wonderful relationship with my brother and sister; this makes me feel that I always know where I belong. – Jose Carreras
- You go through life wondering what it is all about, but at the end of the day it’s all about family. – Rod Stewart
- I have a lot to be thankful for. I am healthy, happy, and I am loved. – Reba McEntire
- While at work, keep a picture of your family on your desk. This reminds you that there is another world of yours at home. – M.K. Soni
- I can’t complain about my life, I have a really nice life. I have a great family and I live in a gorgeous part of the country. – Mary Decker
- We start with our family, we may stray as life goes on but we all end up with our family – appreciate them! – Catherine Pulsifer
- Family is a unique gift that needs to be appreciated and treasured, even when they’re driving you crazy. As much as they make you mad, interrupt you, annoy you, curse at you, try to control you, these are the people who know you the best and who love you. – Jenna Morasca
9. I’m very fortunate to have been raised in my family. I learned early about the importance of giving back. – Patrick Schwarzenegger
- What is important is family, friends, giving back to your community and finding meaning in life. – Adrian Grenier
- My family is everything. I am what I am thanks to my mother, my father, my brother, my sister. Because they have given me everything. – Ronaldhino
- The children have been a wonderful gift to me, and I’m thankful to have once again seen our world through their eyes. They restore my faith in the family’s future. – Jackie Kennedy
- Being a family means you are a part of something very wonderful. It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life. – Lisa Weed
- A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it. – George Moore
- I have a really good family. I’m lucky to have people who support me and love me in my life. – Kenny Wormald
20 Friends Are Family QuotesView in gallery
Sometimes a friendship transcends beyond the title of best friend. Ultimately becoming more like family than a close friend.
Related Reading: 120 Questions to Ask a Guy
And to celebrate those special relationships, we have 20 ‘friends are family’ quotes.
- Weren’t your friends the family you got to choose? – Karen Swan
- Anything is possible when you have the right people there to support you. – Misty Copeland
- A true friend never gets in your way unless you happen to be going down. – Arnold H. Glasgow
- Real friends treat you like family. – Jesse Joseph
- Friends or family?” they asked. “Friends are family,” I replied. – Abinaya
- Life feels heavenly when your family becomes your friends and your friends become your family. – Yash Raj
- Family and friends are my flowers growing in my life’s garden. I must always care for them with love so I can keep them forever. – Joe Analco
- Family and close friends who are supportive of you should be integrated into your schedule regularly, to nourish and nurture your overall well being. – Ace McCloud
- A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you. – Elbert Hubbard
10. The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart. – Elisabeth Foley
- There are friends, there is family, and then there are friends that become family. – Unknown
- One loyal friend is worth ten thousand relatives. – Euripides
- Here’s to the nights that turned into mornings with the friends that turned into family. – Unknown
- You and I are more than friends. We’re like a really small gang. – Miles A. Head
- We had many families over time. Our family of origin, the family we created, and the groups you moved through while all of this was happening. – Sarah Dessen
- You must remember, family is often born of blood, but it doesn’t depend on blood. Nor is it exclusive of friendship. – Trenton Lee Stewart
- True friends are families which you can select. – Audrey Hepburn
- The language of friendship is not words but meanings. – Henry David Thoreau
- A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. – Walter Winchell
- Friendship marks a life even more deeply than love. Love risks degenerating into obsession, friendship is never anything but sharing. – Eli Wiesel
16 Blended Family QuotesView in gallery
Not every family has blood ties. Blended families are those that came together outside of the genetic family tree.
But whether you’re born of the same blood, or came together through love – family is a powerful connection.
And these 16 blended family quotes perfectly encapsulate that “family” has no singular definition.
- Your basic extended family today includes your ex-husband or ex-wife, your ex’s new mate, your new mate, possibly your new mate’s ex and any new mate that your new mate’s ex has acquired. – Delia Ephron
- The blended family isn’t just an ordinary family times two. It’s a special kind of family with special needs. – Maxine Marsolin
- Co-parenting. It’s not a competition between two homes. It’s a collaboration of parents doing what is best for the kids. – Heather Hetchler
- Blended families are a beautiful mix of diverse people who each serve an important role in our lives. At times, it can be challenging to appreciate everyone’s unique beauty. – Deana Kellar La Rosa
- Family is family. Whether it’s the one you start out with, the one you end up with, or the family that you gain along the way. – Modern Family
- The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other. – Richard Bach
- I’m grateful that being a stepmom has taught me that there is no shame in admitting you don’t have it together all the time. – Jamie Scrimgeour
- A step-sibling is one giant step in growing in life, together. – Sally Painter
- Families don’t have to match. You don’t have to look like someone else to love them. – Leigh Anne Tuohy
10. Step parents are not around to replace a biological parent, rather to augment a child’s life experience. – Azriel Johnson
- Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family: Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one. – Jane Howard
- It is a challenge unlike any other to make the effort to love our step-kids like they are your own and to maybe not receive that love back. – Rose Quinn
- I never wanted kids. Then I became a stepmom, and there was no place I’d rather be than with them. – Gabrielle Union
- A patchwork family needs extra effort and care, and even then there is no guarantee of happily ever after. – Ariel Gore
- One of the most powerful things you can do to make your blended family victorious is to learn how to release unrealistic expectations. – Kellye Laughery
- My step dad may not have given me life, but he sure has made my life better. – Gerado Campbell
15 Disney Family QuotesView in gallery
One of the most magical places on Earth, Disney, is beloved by families the world over. But Disney isn’t just a fun family getaway.
With over 80 years experience in bringing families together, Disney could teach a masterclass on familial bonds. Whether you’re watching their movies, series, or visiting a park.
And these 15 Disney family quotes will certainly bring you together.
- I can remember some things because I have a family because everyone has a family. – Finding Dory
- The greatest gift and honor is having you for a daughter. – Mulan
- Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind. – Lilo & Stitch
- I became a sister to three new brothers. The princes. Hamish, Hubert, and Harris. Wee devils, more like. They get away with murder. I can never get away with anything. – Brave
- Life is beautiful. It’s about giving. It’s about family. – Walt Disney
- Love is putting someone else’s needs before yours. – Frozen
- We may have our differences, but nothing’s more important than family. – Coco
8. A man should never neglect his family for business. – Walt Disney
- You and Mom tell me all kinds of things I think are stupid until I hear them from somebody else. – The Proud Family
- Sometimes what’s left behind can grow better than the generation before. – The Lion King
- No matter where I go, you will always be my mother. – Tarzan
- Making a memory! Years from now, when I’m all grown up, I’ll always remember my grandfather and how he always smelled of… peppermint and pipe tobacco. – The Parent Trap
- You cannot deny the truth that is your family. – Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- We’re a family, we stick together. – Toy Story
- The important thing is the family. If you can keep the family together – and that’s the backbone of our whole business, catering to families – that’s what we hope to do. – Walt Disney
10 Happy Family QuotesView in gallery
When your family is happy, it’s easy for you to be happy. Because the unhappy alternative isn’t good for anyone.
So, revel in your family’s happiness. Or share your happiness with your family.
And these 10 happy family quotes will remind you how important happiness is in a family setting.
- All happy families resemble one another, each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. – Leo Tolstoy
- A happy family is but an earlier heaven. – George Bernard Shaw
- Happy or unhappy, families are all mysterious. – Gloria Steinem
- The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family. – Thomas Jefferson
5. If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace.– Nhat Hanh
- There is no poverty in life when you have a loving, peaceful, happy family. They are a gift which cannot be bought nor traded for gold. – Ryan Dunn
- It is our basic right to be a happy person, happy family, and eventually a happy world. That should be our goal. – Dalai Lama
- When mother is happy, family is happy. When family is happy, nation is happy. – Abdul Kalam
- I hope we will be able to have a happy family ourselves. – Kate Middleton
- It’s all about quality of life and finding a happy balance between work and friends and family. – Philip Green
20 Addams Family Quotes
Although they might be creepy. (And definitely a little kooky.) It’s no mystery that the Addams love their family members.
And here are 20 Addams Family quotes. Because a happy family isn’t always living in a cookie-cutter house with a picket fence.
- I loved her not for the way she danced with my angels, but for the way the sound of her name could silence my demons. – Gomez Addams
- I’m just like any modern woman trying to have it all—a loving husband, a family. It’s just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade. – Morticia Addams
- Look at her, I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss. – Gomez Addams
- I already hugged you once father. That’s quite enough affection for a lifetime. – Wednesday Addams
- I hope that someday you’ll know the indescribable joy of having children and of paying someone else to raise them. – Gomez Addams
- When we first met years ago, it was an evening much like this. Magic in the air. – Morticia Adams
- What? Come on, Old Man, I’ve smoked since I was five. Mother insisted. – Gomez Addams
- Gomez, let’s go for a drive. The whole family. – Morticia Addams
9. Children, look, Great-Aunt Lavinia! She was beheaded by her own children! – Uncle Fester
- Hush, mama! It’s for charity! Widows and orphans. We need more of them. – Morticia Addams
- When you are an Addams, you need to really love your wife! – Gomez Addams
- No one torments my family but me. – Wednesday Addams
- Our credo: “Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc”. We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words. – Morticia Addams
- I didn’t hate my mother. It was an accident! – Gomez Addams
- You are too precious for words. Why, I could just eat you alive! – Margaret Alford
- A day alone, only that would be death. – Morticia Addams
- Children, do you think we love the baby more than we love you? – Morticia Addams
- I love it when your murderous maternal instincts kick in. – Gomez Addams
- I’ve been social distancing since birth. – Wednesday Addams
- You have enslaved him. You have placed Fester under some strange sexual spell. I respect that. But please, may we see him? – Morticia Addams
What “Family” MeansView in gallery
Some of us consider family to be the people that we’re related to. But the concept of family is different for everyone.
On occasion, family is a chosen group of friends. Other times, a family consists of people that raise you, regardless of the biological connection.
And an adopted family is just as legitimate as blood relations.
Family means having someone to love you no matter what. No judgement. No fear. And no uncertainty.
So, when we say family, we mean anyone in your life that makes you feel secure, and loved. Whether that’s your ancestors, your friends, or even your pets.
Remember to hold them dear. And let them know how much they mean to you whenever you get the chance.
Family Quotes: Conclusion
Regardless of how your family looks from the outside, what matters is that there is love between you. And no matter how you feel about your family, there’s a family quote to sum up those feelings.
Do any of these quotes remind you of your family? Which are your favorites?
Let us know in the comments below!